How to measure ceiling fan size?
Purchase decisions Involve money and no one wants to invest their money into something they can’t get enough benefits. Ceiling fan purchase can be a little tricky because you can’t just buy any sort of fan you like. You have to take the facts like the fan size, room size and many things into consideration. In this article you will get everything regarding how to measure ceiling fan size and from a different perspective also.
Choosing the right ceiling fan size
A sizing ceiling fan is an important part of the process of choosing the right fan. The fans have multiple purposes to be served. If you want the air to circulate highly then you are better off with a large fan. If your intentions are cooling yourself, then a small ceiling fan will just do fine. Fans come in a different size to ease the various needs. The full blade span is taken into the measure of the fans. The height of the ceiling also plays a vital role in choosing a fan.
Ceiling fan sizes by room
The ceiling fan needs to be in accordance with the room. It is an easy calculation.
- For a larger room you need a large fan and for a smaller room you need a smaller fan. We will add a size guide for your assistance in this article below.
- The ceiling fan should hang in a safe height. There should not be any kind of hindrance. It should not be less than 7 because you surely don’t want anyone to get a cut or an injury of any sort. There is also the fact that for proper air circulation the fan needs about 8 feet to function.
- Lastly you have to consider the down rod. Rooms above 9 feet need this pole.
|room with 10 feet ceiling heights need a pole of 18 inch|
|room with 11 feet ceiling heights need a pole of 24 inch|
|room with 12 feet ceiling heights need a pole of 36 inch|
Choosing the right ceiling fan
With a wide range of fans available in the market, it can be a little confusing knowing which one is the best fan for you. Fashion trends and quality is dynamic today so here are some things you can pre-plan for the right kind of ceiling fan you are getting
- Looking for style is obvious. Nowadays fans with large blades are in trend. Many buyers want light attached to it and many people don’t. So you can fix these choices before going to the market.
- Consumers carry an urge to match the color of the ceiling with the fan. To be true it does look good. And you wouldn’t enjoy looking up to the ceiling with unmatched colors.
- Lastly but most importantly knowing what size is perfect for you according to your ceiling height and room size.
Understand your ceiling fan’s performance characteristics
This technology is pretty straight forward. It is one of the reasons for their huge popularity. But there are some factors that determine the performance of the fans.
- RPM states how fast your fan can rotate. The faster they move the more air they circulate. A good fan comes with 6 different settings for speed. So you might want to buy those.
- The motor is the most crucial component in this tech. It ensures that all the other factors are in alignment. So a powerful motor is a must to have longer fan life and superior efficiency.
- Blades must be in perfect pitch means the angle they are placed with. You can compare it with a rowboat. If the blades are flat then it does not require much energy to move them.
- Lastly, the shape and size of the blades must not be too short or too long. This highly affects the fans ability to articulate air. Even having a powerful motor won’t solve this problem. So buying them must be an informed decision.
Ceiling fan basics
The basics are pretty moderate on this topic. Some vital points are there and we are going to go over them in short.
- Choosing the right size- Yes, we have been talking about it since the start of the content. That is how important it is. Fans start from 29’’ and go till 74’’. It is you who need to purchase as per your needs.
- The mounting system- The product comes with a standard mounting system implemented but a change in the ceiling height may require additional pole. A sloped mount is used if any curved or angled ceiling comes along.
- Installing a fan in humid places like the bathroom, the kitchen is a little different. The fan must be UL listed and should come with a Damp Rating. Their specialty lies in their sealed mount or in the blades that can withstand all kinds of weather.
Ceiling fan size guide
Fans are found in such a wide variety because they are made to satisfy different needs. We will have a look at the fan size guide.
- 60’’ or larger blade span: These fans are a great fit for large areas and bigger rooms. You can see this type of fan in the hallway. It can distribute air to a room having more than 350square footage.
- 52’’-56’’ blade span: It can cover a maximum of 350 sq ft in a room. These fans are designed for family rooms, Living rooms, Media centric room or large bedrooms.
- 42’’-48’’ blade span: These fans are a common sight. It can cover an area up to 175 sq ft in a room. So you can understand it is made for bedrooms, dining rooms and kitchens.
- 29’’ to 36’ blade span: These are the smallest you can see in today’s market. These fans cover a very short area and are typically placed in a short space. It can be seen in bathrooms, storerooms, and small kitchens as it can only cover an area of 75square footage.
Purchasing ceiling fans having the right information with you is the ideal way to go. Fans are a style factor to add to your room. Remember the room size, ceiling height and fan size and you will have the perfect appliance added to your home.